VISA Application Procedure in detail:
You do need a VISA to travel to Nepal, therefore, make sure you have all necessary documents required for the VISA obtaining process.
The Embassy issues Tourist Visas to foreigners visiting Nepal for leisure purposes.
Persons traveling to Nepal for other purposes such as study, business, work have to apply for a tourist visa to the Embassy. They can apply for the respective VISA in Nepal once they arrive in Nepal. For the details about the visa please visit the site by Department of Immigration, Nepal
Where and how can you apply for a VISA to travel to Nepal?
The VISA obtaining procedure is quite simple. You can either obtain the VISAs at the Immigrations at TIA or from the Diplomatic Missions of Nepal in your country. You just need to fill up a form producing the required documents and pay a nominal fee according to the number of days of stay. Travelers can obtain an On Arrival VISA at the Immigration Counter at the Tribhuvan International Airport, Kathmandu, except for the citizens from the 12 countries mentioned here:
- Refugees with a travel document
Generally, it takes one working day to issue a visa, however, if a person comes in-person, it can be issued on the same day provided it requires no further verification ( Please note that the holder of the passport who is not eligible for visa-on-arrival in Nepal needs further verification). The exact time duration will depend upon the workload.
NOTE: To apply for the Visa to Nepal, one must fill an online visa application form available at https ://nepaliport.immigration.gov.np/onlinevisa-mission/application
Primary information to keep in mind while applying for Visa to Nepal:
- All foreigners, except Indian nationals who are entering through the land route into Nepal, need a visa to enter Nepal.
- Visitors can apply for a visa at this Embassy during visa hours (Monday to Friday between 10:00 to 13:00 hours), except on public holidays.
- For the nationals of all European countries visa-on-arrival can be obtained at the Tribhuvan International Airport, Kathmandu (to find the details on eligibility for visa-on-arrival please visit (https://www.immigration.gov.np/).
- As per the decision of the Government of Nepal, handwritten passports will not be accepted for the issuance of visas.
- Applicants are required to pay visa fees as provided below.
- Children below the age of 10 years are exempted from visa fees.
Applicants are supposed to submit the following documents for obtaining a VISA
- A printed copy of the visa submission confirmation.
- Original passport with a minimum of 6 months validity and its copy
- An official note or letter for the issuance of visa for Diplomatic or Official passport holders (for issuing gratis visa)
Travel Document holders are required to contact the Embassy prior to sending their documents for the visa.
On Arrival Visa Fee at Entry Points
- 15 Days – 30 USD
- 30 Days – 50 USD
- 90 Days – 125 USD
Visa Extension Fee
- Tourist visa extension is done for a minimum of 15 days with USD 45 and USD 3 per day for additional days.
- In the case of a delay of fewer than 150 days additional USD 5 per day as a late fine.
Gratis Visa (Visa for Free)
Visas of all kinds including ‘Gratis’ issued at the Airport are Tourist Visas. Contact the Department of Immigration for extending your visa or changing the category of your visa. Tourist Visa extension can be done from Immigration Office, Pokhara too. Non-tourist visa extension can be done only at the Department of Immigration (if eligible) for a period of a maximum of one year (except business visa).
Gratis Visa is issued free of cost in case of the following categories of Visa applicants:
- Children below 10 years except for US citizens
- Up to 30 days for SAARC Citizens (except Afghanistan) visiting Nepal for the first time in a given visa Year. Afghan citizens are eligible for Gratis Visa on Arrival only upon the recommendation of the Department of Immigration. If you are an Afghan citizen, you can request a concerned institution inviting you to Nepal for necessary paperwork with the Department of Immigration to get you Gratis Visa 'On Arrival.
- Non Residential Nepalese(NRN) card holder ( issued by MoFA /Nepalese diplomatic missions abroad)
- Officials from China, Brazil, Russia, and Thailand do not need Entry Visa based on a reciprocal visa waiver agreement.
- Once issued, the visa cannot be withdrawn, visa fees cannot be refunded and a visa should be used within six months from the date of issuance. After having obtained a visa you are requested to check your type of visa and visa details written in the visa strikers.
- Tourists carrying more than US$ 2000 or equivalent foreign currency should declare it at the immigration point of Nepal by filling Customs Declaration Form at the time of arrival in Nepal. Failure to submit the Customs Declaration Form exceeding the above-mentioned amount shall be liable to an action in accordance with the Foreign Exchange Rules and Regulations of Nepal.
- Tourists traveling by land route by using a personal vehicle should be in possession of a valid permit (passage de carnet) along with the vehicle.
- Travel Document/aliens passport holders are required to contact the Embassy prior to sending their documents by post. (Such travel documents/alien passport holders are required to provide invitation/sponsorship letter, two-way ticket. The Embassy may also ask for an interview).